About Lawrence (ZIP Code 11559)
Lawrence is a village in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, on Long Island’s South Shore. It is located in the southwest corner of Nassau County, adjacent to the New York City borough of Queens to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the south. Lawrence is part of the Five Towns, along with Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Woodnere and Inwood.
The Village of Lawrence was named after the Lawrence brothers, George, Alfred and Newbold, who in the 1850s acquired and started building mansions for wealthy New York City residents. Many of these mansions still exist in “Back Lawrence” or “Old Lawrence.” The Village of Lawrence was incorporated in 1897. As of 2010 Lawrence’s population was 6,483.
Lawrence is a beautiful Five Towns neighborhood and provides a good price range for purchasing a new home. Browse our complete list of property:
- Browse our Lawrence Houses and Homes Listings
- Browse our Lawrence Co-op Apartment Listings
- Browse our Lawrence Condo Listings
Lawrence features a wonderful public school system (which is also serviced by Lawrence, another neighborhood in the five towns). It also has a well known private school and is within reach of many Jewish schools for elementary and high school age students.
- District 15, Lawrence Public Schools
- The Brandeis School, 28 Frost Lane
- Hebrew Academy of The Five Towns and Rockaways (“HAFTR”), Middle School, 44 Frost Lane
- HAFTR Elementary School, 33 Washington Avenue
- Rambam Mesivta, 15 Frost Lane
- Mesivta Ateres Yaakov H.S., 131 Washington Avenue
- JCC of the Greater Five Towns Day Care Center, 140 Central Avenue
- Temple Israel Religious School, 140 Central Avenue
Lawrence Station and the posh boutiques, upscale eateries and small businesses that line Central Avenue, which was once referred to as Long Island’s Rodeo Drive. There are approximately 240 stores within the one quarter square mile area of Lawrence and numerous shops, groceries, Kosher meat and food.
Lawrence features a number of different restaurants and is within a short distance of several major shopping malls.
Major Shopping Malls
- Green Acres Mall, 2034 Green Acres Road West, Valley Stream
- Roosevelt Field Shopping, 630 Old Country Road, Garden City
Kosher Restaurants & Cafes
- Prime Bistro, 305 Central Avenue
- Traditions Eatery, 302 Central Avenue
- The Coffee Bar, 345 Central Avenue
- Wafflelino, The Waffel Bar, 310 Central Avenue
- Cho-Sen Island, 367 Central Avenue
- Sushi Tokyo, 337 Central Avenue
- Sunflower Cafe, 357 Central Avenue
- Jerusalem Pizza, 344 Central Avenue
- Dunkin Donuts, 299 Burnside Avenue
- Berrylicious, 295 Burnside Avenue
- Chimichurri Charcoal Kitchen, 450 Rockaway Turnpike
- Ahuvas Grill Express, 480 Rockaway Turnpike
- Andrew J. Parise Park is a beautiful newly renovated park in nearby Cedarhurst.
- Atlantic Beach—3 miles—less than a 10 minute drive.
- Eisenhower Park—14 miles, 30 minute drive.
- Jones Beach State Park—15 Miles, Approximately 30 minute drive.
- Long Beach Boardwalk—Under 8 miles. Approximately 20 minute Drive.
Lawrence LIRR Station
- The Lawrence station provides Long Island Railroad service on the Far Rockaway branch. Lawrence Avenue and Bayview Avenue, 2 blocks West of Central Avenue.
- The average trip to Pennsylvania Station, Manhattan and Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn is usually just under an hour.
John F. Kennedy International Airport
- under 10 miles away— it is approximately a 20 minute drive.
- Beth Sholom Congregation, 390 Broadway
- Shaaray Tefila Congregation, 25 Central Avenue
- To be provided