About Cedarhurst (ZIP Code 11516)
Cedarhurst is a beautiful small village located in the Town of Hempstead, in Nassau County on the south shore of Long Island. It is one of the “Five Towns,” the others being Hewlett, Inwood, Lawrence and Woodmere. Cedarhurst was named after a grove or “hurst” of cedar trees that at one time surrounded the local post office. It was originally known as Ocean Point for its close proximity to the ocean. At present, Cedarhurst has a population of over 6,600 people.
Cedarhurst is a beautiful neighborhood to purchase a home and features a more diverse price range than some other areas in the five towns. Browse our complete list of property:
- Browse our Cedarhurst Houses and Homes Listings
- Browse our Cedarhurst Co-op Apartment Listings
- Browse our Cedarhurst Condo Listings
Cedarhurst features some of the best schools for families with children. In addition to a fantastic public school system, it also has one of the most well known Jewish schools for elementary and high school age students.
- School District 15: Lawrence Public Schools
- Hebrew Academy of the Five Towns and Rockaways (“HAFTR”) High School,
635 Central Avenue.
- Yeshiva Zichron Aryea, 530 Central Avenue.
- Yeshiva Darche Torah, 85 Elderd Lane.
Cedarhurst Station and the posh boutiques, upscale eateries and small businesses that line Central Avenue, which was once referred to as Long Island’s Rodeo Drive. There are approximately 240 stores within the one quarter square mile area of Cedarhurst and numerous shops, groceries, Kosher meat and food.
Cedarhurst is a very convenient place to live. It is within walking distance of the Long Island Railroad(“LIRR”). Near the Cedarhurst Station is Central Avenue, lined with numerous posh boutiques, upscale eateries and small businesses which was once referred to as Long Island’s Rodeo Drive. There are approximately 240 stores within the one quarter square mile area of Cedarhurst and something great for everyone – including a spectacular collection of Kosher resources for Jewish families, presented for your convenience below:
Major Shopping Malls
- Green Acres Mall, 2034 Green Acres Road West, Valley Stream. 4 Miles away.
- Roosevelt Field Shopping, 630 Old Country Road, Garden City. 15 miles away.
- Gourmet Glatt, 137 Spruce Street.
Kosher Restaurants & Cafes
- Upper Crust, 442 Central Avenue
- Hapina Restaurant, 128 Cedarhurst Avenue
- Holy Schnitzel, 688 Central Avenue
- Wok Tov, 594 Central Avenue
- Carlos & Gabby’s, 143 Washington Avenue
- Fish Plate, 140 Cedarhurst Avenue
- Mike’s Burger, 531 Central Avenue
- Bogo Pizza, 206 Rockaway Turnpike
- Bagel Delight, 598 Central Avenue
- David’s Famous Pizza, 580 Central Avenue
- Kosher BBQ Graze Smokehouse, 529 Central Avenue
- Ruthie’s Desserts, 560 Central Avenue
- Pizza’Le, 560 Central Avenue
- Amsterdam Burger, 490 Chestnut Street
- Cork and Slice, 477 Chestnut Street
- Central Perk Café, 105 Cedarhurst Avenue
- Cravingz, 410 Central Avenue
- Crawfords Coffee Bar & Café, 424 Central Avenue
- Moms Pastries, 517 Central Avenue
- Pita Place, 560 Central Ave.
- Cucumbers, 566 Central Ave.
- Bennys Brick Oven, 608 Central Ave.
- Stop, Chop & Roll, 119 Cedarhurst Ave.
- Andrew J. Parise Park is a beautiful, newly renovated, award winning park and center for cultural and community events and in the heart of Cedarhurst.. Parise Park is open daily from 11AM to 7PM.
- Atlantic Beach—3 miles—less than a 10 minute drive.
- Eisenhower Park—14 miles, 30 minute drive.
- Jones Beach State Park—15 Miles, Approximately 30 minute drive.
- Long Beach Boardwalk—Under 8 miles. Approximately 20 minute Drive.
Cedarhurst LIRR Station
- Conveniently located near the center of town, which includes a generous amount of parking spaces.
- Approximately a 45-50 minute train ride to Pennsylvania Station, Manhattan and Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.
John F. Kennedy International Airport
- under 8 miles away—approximately a 20 minute drive.
- Agudath Israel of The Five Towns, 508 Peninsula Boulevard.
- Bais Midrash of Cedarhurst, 504 West Broadway.
- Chabad of The Five Towns, 74 Maple Avenue.
- Chofetz Chaim Torah Center, 7 Derby Avenue.
- Kehillas Bais Yehudah Tzvi of Cedarhurst, 391 Oakland Avenue.
- Tiffereth Zvi Minyan, 26 Columbia Avenue
- Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst, 8 Spruce Street
- Temple Beth El, Locust Avenue and Broadway
- The Sephardic Temple, 775 Branch Boulevard
- Lutheran Incarnation, 411 Bayview Avenue
- St. Joachim Roman Catholic Church, 614 Central Avenue